Top 10 reasons why I’m over your “top-10 list”
I am officially over your top ten list! For some reason many folks seem to have a top ten lists for everything/ only posts top-ten. The list’s often consist of bad or lame or trite advice/information. For some reason top ten lists get shared all the time and seem like they really matter. In hopes that this post gets the word out I will make a top ten list of why I’m sick of your top ten list!
10. Your blog is not a late night TV show… If I really wanted to see top ten lists I could go to hulu and watch them until I die of old age.
9. You are saying exactly what everyone else is saying… If someone doesn’t have a business page on Facebook it is unlikely they are going to get one because of you.
8. You are being Lazy… Try pre-writing and provide actual depth to your writing also consider using bullets to break up text.
7. You are destroying it for everyone else… Since every blog you and most blogs other people write are top ten lists, when the rest of us want to do one we are stuck entering over saturation.
6. You are probably recycling what someone else put…I could copy and paste 100s of top ten lists every day, and they would be “unique” because they would be a mashup.
5. Not everything has a numerical value… I literally saw a post ranking the top 10 reasons why an @reply is better than a Direct message on twitter. Really one reason is better than another for that? Really? (Why not rank your kids numerically?)
4. You are repeating yourself… Most top ten lists will repeat one point in some way shape or form at least once!
3. You are repeating yourself… Most top ten lists will repeat one point in some way shape or form at least once! (I did that on purpose… this message needs to get out and I don’t want to break format there by messing up the formula)
2. You are not an expert… I have seen a flurry of posts about the top-10 reasons that Facebook will do an IPO in 2011, which is not likely, include reasons that make no sense (ie The market is low right now.. so Facebook’s value will rise faster?). One of the great things about blogging is anyone can do it, but if you have a top-10 list please be an expert, or do a top ten list of your favorites.
1. You insult your audience… Generally the list establishes the author as an expert and the reader a mindless idiot. (which I may have done, if so I am sorry)
This is the first top ten list I have ever done. I believe we need more creativity in our creative expressions. Next time you are doing a top-ten list ask your self if it really needs to be quantified. This post isn’t written for everyone so it may not apply. However I think we should be a little more careful/aware of how we use this specific literary device!